The British Nigeria Law Forum is a vibrant professional organisation made up of practising lawyers and students. We provide business, networking and educational opportunities for our members and friends in the UK and Nigeria. Established in 2001, the group has a long and successful track record of staging major professional and social events designed to develop and support the careers of our members.
Upcoming Events of Interest
(for further details see our Events page)
BNLF Officer Elections 2017
BNLF is seeking nominations of or from active members of the Forum for the officer posts of Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer, General Secretary and Membership Secretary and for the committee member posts of Legal Surgery Co-ordinator and Student Affairs Co-ordinator as well as up to four further committee member posts. The present Executive has served its 2-year tenure and all officers are up for re-election. The Chair is stepping down.
If you wish to nominate someone/yourself, please give full contact details below (including email address) and let us have a brief outline (no more than 150 words) of how they/you would envisage fulfilling the role including any plans or ideas along with an up to date CV. Please ensure that the form is signed by the nominee as well as two current paid up members (2017/2018) of BNLF.
Nominees need to be aware that:
- Officer Nominations: S/he must be a barrister or solicitor of at 3 years post qualification experience and has been a current paid up member of BNLF for at least 3 continuous years
- Committee members: any current paid up (2017/2018) ordinary member may stand for election (including 1 law student)
- These posts rely on the person elected being able to attend regular planning meetings (which are mainly held in London), other BNLF organised events and be accessible via email for discussions between the officers as and when issues arise.
Completed nomination forms and accompanying CVs must be received no later than 5pm, Wednesday, 10 May 2017 at our listed address c/o Stephen Akinsanya
Bethel Chambers, Central Court, 25 Southampton Buildings London WC2 1AL or email firstname.lastname@example.org. BNLF paid up members (2017/2018) will then be informed by 19 May 2017 of those standing for election in advance of the BNLF AGM on Monday, 5 June 2017 at which voting will take place.
Posts up for election
The London Nollywood Film Festival 2017. The film festival is a platform curated to showcase Nollywood movies of international standards and a also platform where Nollywood fans can come together and celebrate Nigerian Films.
Time – 6:00pm – 8:30pm
- The British Nigeria Law Forum Spring Seminar 2017
The Best Interests of the Child
6PM, Tuesday 11TH April 2017
Venue: Peters & Peters Solicitors LLP, 15 Fetter Lane London EC4A 1BW
- Special invitation for you and your members which is happening on 25 March 2017 at the Law Society, Chancery Lane. Supported by the Law society, the AWLA is hosting a women’s leadership conference. We have a very special keynote speaker who we are unable to name on here. Let’s just say she is the epitome of a Bold, Feisty Woman Leader that we need in the 21st Century. This successful female entrepreneur recently led a successful legal case against the UK government to preserve Parliamentary sovereignty. Message me if you want to know more. If you have any questions please call my office at 07724 016284 or message me and I will be pleased to answer them.Please share this information on to your members and any woman executive or professional who wants to be inspired and learn more about becoming a leader from some of the best in the business and any BAME solicitor or barrister who may be interested in being supported by our community.Best regards,Caroline Newman LLMFounder and Patron of the AWLA and Founder of the Women’s Leadership Summit
- BNLF Social Networking Event – Friday 24 February 2017, Lounge 33, 33 Brooke Street London EC1N 7RS from 6.30pm – 9.30pm